Melting Marshmallow Peeps with a Red Hot Ball of Nickel
This was completely unnecessary and for that I am thankful
True story: a couple years ago, on Easter, my sisters and cousins had done the stick-a-Peep-in-the-microwave thing. Looking at the Peeps in the microwave, expanding and imploding and turning into dry bits of sugar, my grandpa started wondering what it would take to catch Peeps on fire.
So he, my uncle, my dad and I took a bunch of Peeps and trooped out to the backyard with a couple of lighters and grabbed one of the stones of the garden to keep the soon-to-be-flaming Peep away from the yard.
The regular lighters didn’t work. The Peeps just sat there, smirking up at us with their cold, dead eyes and their hooked, predatorial beaks, maybe a tiny bit melty.
So instead, my grandpa busted out a canister of MAPP gas. For those of you who, like me, had no idea what the fuck MAPP gas is, it’s a gas mix that’s used for welding. Underwater welding. This shit burns at almost 3000°C. Why my grandpa had it, I still do not know.
But did the Peeps catch fire when exposed to the flame from this canister of welding gas my grandpa had? This 3000°C flame had to work to get the Peeps (which are made of sugar, after all) to burst into charry flame.
Nope. The Peeps melted, they deformed, they shrunk and made a stain all over my grandma’s garden stone, but they did not burn. Not one lick of fire escape from that disaster zone except the fire we were causing.
So let me just make it abundantly clear the amount of awe in my voice when I say: The video got the Peeps to catch fire.